Need to talk?
If you work in or have worked in the Thoroughbred racing or breeding industry and you need to talk to someone then Racing Welfare can help.
There are times when we all need someone to talk to, particularly when life gets too much. Despite having supportive networks of close family and friends it can still be hard to talk; that's where counselling can help.
Counselling is a type of talking therapy with a trained practitioner who is able to listen with empathy and understanding. Counsellors can help you deal with negative thoughts, emotional pain or any other feelings that are causing distress or anxiety. A counsellor can also help you work through these thoughts and feelings.
Counselling should help you feel safe and offer a place where concerns can be explored with the aim of getting a better understanding of feelings and thought processes. Through this increased understanding it is possible to identify solutions to difficult life situations.
Types of Counselling and Support
There are many other issues that counselling can help with and if you're unsure then please ask us. There are also different types of counselling and a range of ways to access it. Racing Welfare offers the following options:
- Telephone counselling - an option that some people prefer as it means you can choose to remain in your own environment. This will usually be weekly sessions which are likely to fit around busy racing or stud hours. It can also suit those living in more remote locations.
- Face to Face counselling at a location convenient to you - some people prefer this option as it means they can interact with a person, but you will need to travel and commit to weekly sessions. This is the most traditional type of therapy.
- Online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - you can now access 'Silver Cloud' online. This type of support is called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and is often good for anxiety and dealing with negative thought patterns. It is likely to suit those who prefer to do things in their own time and who have access to the internet.
Get help now
All of these options are available to racing's workforce and retired staff free of charge and will mean you won't need to wait for lengthy NHS waiting lists to get the help you need.
If you think you'd like to explore counselling you can contact us in the following ways:
- call us on 0800 6300 443
- use our online chat service
- text us on 07860 079 043
- send us your questions or queries
You may also find the following information helpful:
- Looking after your mental wellbeing
- 5 steps for better mental wellbeing
- Practice self-care
- Manage stress
- Online cognitive behavioural therapy
In order to access counselling you will be asked to complete an initial assessment over the phone. If counselling is appropriate then your first appointment will be set up there and then.
Alternatively you may want to source a counsellor yourself. We would always recommend that you choose someone who is accredited with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) or with the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP). You can find a therapist and more information by using the following links;