We are here for you
Suicide affects everyone. If you or anyone you know is feeling suicidal then we are here for you 24 hours a day. You are not alone, we are here to help you through these difficult times and our service is free and fully confidential. If you are concerned that somebody's life, or your own life, is in danger, then don't hesitate to dial 999.
Several factors can put a person at risk for attempting or committing suicide:
- Previous suicide attempt(s)
- History of depression or other mental illness
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Family history of suicide or violence
- Physical illness
- Feeling alone
Any change in someone's life can trigger or increase the risk:
- An accident or illness resulting in a change of lifestyle
- Financial problems
- Family problems
- Little or no hope for the future
- Recent experience of failure or rejection
- A change in carer or family situation
- Difficulty accessing help
- Substance misuse
- Significant debilitating health issues (particularly chronic pain / terminal illness)
- Losing one's home
- Social, cultural or religious isolation
It can also be useful to pinpoint the following signs that may indicate someone is suicidal.
Self-neglect or not eating
Withdrawal from the company of others and/or refusal to see visitors or support workers
Decrease in participation in work, education or association
Marked changes in mood or behaviour, acting out of character
Lack of motivation
Tidying up affairs/giving away possessions
Get help now
If you or someone you know is experiencing any of the above or is having suicidal thoughts and would like further information or support please contact the Samaritans who offer confidential and non-judgemental support 24 hours a day.
Telephone: 08457 90 90 90
Racing Welfare also has an online live chat service click here to go direct to this service. This is free and fully confidential.
We also offer telephone counselling to anyone experiencing emotional distress, please call 0800 6300 443 if you need help. We offer a safe, secure and fully confidential environment.